1. Apply digital tourniquet:
2. Split nail with English Nail Splitter to level of eponychium:
3. Split proximal nail plate with #61 chisel-tip blade:
4. Free nail plate from nail bed with chisel:
5. Grasp entire nail section with haemostat:
6. Remove nail section – rotate towards midline of nail and gently pull nail free:
7. Dry nail sulcus before application of phenol:
8. Remove excess phenol from applicators:
9. Apply phenol – rotate towards midline of nail:
10. Apply for 60 seconds (by convention 3 x 20 secs):
11. Remove excess phenol from wound with alcohol-wipe & remove tourniquet:
12. Immediately post-op appearance:
13. Dress with BetadineTM ung, sterile gauze and MicroporeTM tape:
14. Apply dressing:
- Normal shoes
- Showers OK
- After 12-24 hrs remove the bandage and place toe under running water for 1-2 minutes, 1-2 times a day for the next 7 days.
- Squeeze the toe for any excess drainage and dry well with sterile gauze.
- Apply bactigras gauze dressing and secure with paper tape /cutiplast after each soak. Alternatively, you can apply betadine ointment and cutiplast after each soak.
- If you see more redness, pus drainage please call the office 9258 4152.